City of Portland, Oregon
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Data Acquisition & Management (DA&M) Manager - (Manager I) EXTENDED
at City of Portland, Oregon
Pay: $83325 to $145808/year
$83325 - $145808
Job Reference #: 2843020
Categories: Management - Mid-Level (Manager, Director)
Overall Job Objective
- The Position
The Bureau of Environmental Services (BES) is hiring a Manager I to lead the Data Acquisition & Management (DA&M) section within the Technical Services Group. This is a leadership position that oversees the development, operations, implementation, maintenance, and data delivery of the Hydrological Data Retrieval and Alarm (HYDRA) System. The HYDRA System is a complex Operational Technology (OT) Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) system that integrates with other OT systems on the bureau’s automation network. The HYDRA system is a network of monitoring sites and data centers that communicates operational, emergency, and environmental information for notification, regulatory compliance, and modeling of the City’s wastewater and stormwater collection systems.
This position is responsible for leading a team of professionals to deliver reliable system and rainfall data to customers throughout the bureau, to other City agencies, and to regional public organizations to support strategic goals and requirements. The DA&M Manager oversees all operations of the team and the HYDRA system assets, aligns levels of service to customer objectives, makes strategic and fiscal decisions as to personnel and equipment, sets data standards and business processes to meet program and bureau data management goals, and ensures that employees are provided with an equitable, safe, and productive work environment.
The DA&M section is located within the Information Delivery Division - a technical data hub that supports bureau mission and objectives, such as regulatory compliance, utility design and construction, wastewater and stormwater management, watershed assessment, and pollution control. The DA&M team delivers continuous collection system level, velocity, and flow data; rainfall data; and alarm notifications from more than 200 locations via radio telemetry and fiber networks.
BES is a dynamic organization that provides sewage and stormwater collection and treatment services, protects surface and ground water quality, and works for clean rivers and healthy watersheds. The Bureau’s vision is to be recognized as a trusted service provider and innovative environmental leader through a demonstrated commitment to our mission and our community.
Major Job Duties:
The DA&M Manager is a leadership position that collaborates with managers, clients, and employees within and outside of BES to meet performance goals. Major job duties of this position include:
City of Portland Core Values:
- Managing the generation and delivery of high-quality, defensible, timely, and cost-effective HYDRA system data and notifications to internal and external customers.
- Leading DA&M strategic planning and program implementation, including ongoing analysis and adaptive management of services, resources, capacities, methodologies, business processes, operating procedures, and work products.
- Leading, supervising, mentoring, retaining, and recruiting diverse, competent, innovative, and service-oriented staff to support the BES mission and strategic objectives and to meet applicable requirements of Oregon Electrical – Limited Energy Technician License, Class A apprenticeship programs.
- Collaborating and communicating with managers and senior technical staff to plan and implement capital improvement projects and HYDRA system improvements.
- Stewarding the physical assets of the HYDRA system and forecasting future fiscal needs to develop and administer an annual budget, a five-year financial plan, and necessary contract services.
Anti-racism | Communication | Collaboration | Equity | Transparency | Fiscal Responsibility
These values guide our actions as we serve the community and engage our workforce. To learn more about the City's core values, please click here.
Why work at the City of Portland?
The City of Portland workforce serves a population of over 650,000. We are culture- and solutions-driven, viewing every challenge as an opportunity to learn, improve, and share our expertise. We are committed to removing systemic barriers to resources, access, and opportunity. The City is a believer in ALL people and continues to actively recruit and retain diverse top talent every day. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, basic life, short- and long-term disability coverage to eligible employees and their families. If you are open-minded, motivated, community-focused, and self-aware, please apply yourself at the City of Portland today.
Currently, many positions with the City of Portland are being performed remotely due to COVID-19. Some employees are working from home full-time, while other roles cannot be filled in a remote status (firefighter, vehicle mechanic, street maintenance, etc.). In the future, current positions classified as “full-time remote” could: 1) remain full-time remote, 2) become a remote/onsite mix, 3) revert to full-time at a city work location. As the situation evolves, the exact work location of the position in this recruitment may change based upon leadership direction and approval.
- To Qualify
- The following minimum qualifications are required for this position:
- Knowledge of and ability with leadership principles and practices, operational and strategic planning, budget administration, and program evaluation.
- Knowledge and skills related to Operational Technology system design, installation, operation, maintenance, and data delivery.
- Knowledge of and ability to hire, retain, manage, train, and evaluate performance of a multicultural workforce in an equitable workplace.
- Ability to apply analytic and problem-solving skills to develop sound conclusions, decisions, and recommendations.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, to convey highly technical information to a wide variety of audiences and stakeholders.
Special Requirements and Qualifications:
This position requires:
- A valid Electrical – Limited Energy Technician License, Class A to support the electrical work of the organizational unit and to serve as a Training Agent for staff that are in an approved apprenticeship program in Oregon.
- A valid state driver’s license.
- The Recruitment Process
- An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in their resume and answers to the supplemental questions, weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested. Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation for required certifications may be required prior to the establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection.
**PLEASE NOTE: The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies**
- Posting: 08/24/20 - 09/21/20
- Applications Reviewed: Week of 09/21/20
- Eligible List: Week of 09/28/20
- Selection Phase Begins: Tentatively the week of 10/05/20
Application InstructionsApplicants must submit a professional résumé online, as well as answer the supplemental questions specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions:
All completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than the closing date and time of this recruitment. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted.
- Your résumé and answers to the supplemental questions will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your answers to each supplemental question should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications. You may want to prepare your answers offline and then cut and paste into the text box provided.
- Your résumé should support the details described in your answers to the supplemental questions.
- If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describe in your responses to your supplemental questions and résumé any transferrable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above.
- Additional Information
- Work Status: Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.
Veterans' Preference: If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment to which you apply. Veterans' Preference documentation must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM on the closing date of this recruitment.
ADA, Pregnancy, and Religious Accommodations: If you identify as a person with a disability, are pregnant or nursing, or observe a religious practice(s), and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the Recruiter below for assistance.
Equal Employment Opportunity: It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply.
Terrol Johnson, Senior Recruiter
Bureau of Human Resources
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer