OBEC Consulting Engineers
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Bridge Engineer 3
at OBEC Consulting Engineers
The Bridge Engineer is responsible for independently performing engineering tasks related to structural design and analysis. The person in this position must either be a licensed professional engineer in the state of primary practice, or be licensed in a different state with the ability to get a license within 6 months of hire. This person is expected to exercise strong engineering judgment, and demonstrate strong bridge engineering fundamentals. The person in this position should show a strong working knowledge of the AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specifications and be able to quickly learn and apply other design codes as needed. The person in this position is also expected to work well with others, absorb and apply constructive criticism and seek guidance from more experienced members of the team as necessary. This position requires a willingness to learn skills and perform a variety of tasks not directly related to the field of bridge engineering, including, but not limited to: construction support assignments, in-service inspections, structural, roadway and other civil engineering tasks.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Independently perform bridge engineering related calculations, analysis, and design tasks
- Independently write technical specifications, reports, and other correspondence to a variety of audiences
- Learn and apply OBEC standards and best practices
- Work collaboratively within multi-disciplinary teams
- Lead the design efforts in the role of engineer-of-record on small design projects
- Perform independent checking of the design work of other team members
- Work with drafters to assemble engineering plans
- Work efficiently to meet deadlines and perform tasks within a given amount of time
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of project budgets and schedules
- Proficiently employ a variety of design codes related to the industry
- Perform other related duties as assigned
This position requires a Bachelor's degree in engineering (civil, structural) from an accredited university and at least four (4) years of experience. A Master's degree focused in civil or structural engineering is preferred and shall substitute for one years' worth of experience.
This position requires a Professional Engineering license in any state, with the ability to get a Professional Engineering license in the state of primary practice within 6 months of hire.
- Intermediate level proficiency with Microsoft Office Suites (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Basic level CAD proficiency using AutoCAD and/or Microstation
- Strong understanding of structural behavior and mechanics of materials.
- Accurately complete engineering calculations for major material types including: concrete, steel, timber, and/or masonry
- Exceptional technical and communication skills
- Strong organization skills
- Intermediate level proficiency with one or more of the following structural analysis programs: SAP2000, Risa3D, Midas, or GTStrudl.
- Intermediate level proficiency with MathCAD
- Strong knowledge of the AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specifications
- Strong understanding of seismic design principles and analysis methods
- Advanced level proficiency with one or more of the following structural analysis programs: SAP2000, Risa3D, Midas, or GT Strudl
- Advanced level proficiency with MathCAD
- Seismic design including non-linear analysis
- Complete engineering assignments with limited oversight
- Interact with clients, contractors, suppliers and teaming partners in a professional manner to resolve project related issues
- Follows established procedures and standards; exercises strong engineering and ethical judgment
- Complete tasks in an accurate, efficient, and organized manner so that they can be easily followed and quickly reviewed by others
- Work as lead engineer on small design projects, and within a team of engineers on projects of moderate to large size
- Accountable for technical performance on projects, and for successful completion of assigned tasks in the required timeframes and within the allotted budget
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
This work is typically done within an office environment with occasional field work at project/construction sites. When field assignments are required, the working conditions/physical requirements for field staff apply.
- Normal working hours will be 8 am – 5 pm, but may vary depending on project demands
- Overtime work may be required based on work deadlines
- Extended periods of sitting, standing, and walking around the office; occasional field assignment supporting engineering design functions
- Ability to move, lift, pull, and push 30 - 50 lbs.
- Prolonged physical activity involving standing, walking, bending, reaching, lifting, pulling, and swinging.
- Strong balance and agility to occasionally climb ladders and/or crawl through openings
- Some travel may be required for this position: Working out of area, out of state, or across the state may be required